Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hey Look at Me I am a Big KId Too!

Did you know I have two boys? I kid, sometimes I feel bad, Z does get the lions share of the attention lately. He's in school and sports, sometimes little brother feels a bit left out. For the last few weeks he has been desperately wanting to be big and go to kindergarten with brother.

In fact he informed that he was five now and old enough to go. When I asked, You are? He told me that he had a few extra birthdays I didn't know about. After relating that story to a womens group at church I found out a few senior saints have apparently been trying to give their extra birthdays away to the toddlers. Sneaky, aren't they? I knew those white hairs couldn't be trusted.

In reality he will probably be attending Headstart this fall, so he will get to go to school. I don't have his letter yet, but a recent speech difficulty diagnosis most likely will ensure him a spot. I didn't take the diagnosis too hard though because he is as smart as a whip. He was very communicative with the diagnostician, and knew every question she asked, I guess it was the way he said his words, I am just used to deciphering for him.

Right now I am enjoying my extra time with him, it has been fun the last few days. The little chatter box keeps the day lively with his running commentary. Today we looked at butterflies, tarantula hawks and caterpillars. One man, whom we saw in a parking lot after Max had captured a long green larvae dared called it a worm, under his breath Max said, it's not a worm, it's a caterpillar. I think the duh was implied. (That is my little entomologist in training!)

While he had said infamous things like telling my mom what is under my pants, he can be quite profound at times for a three year old. Take Sunday at lunch, as we cracked fortune cookies, I asked him to read mine. Although he cannot actually read, his acting was dead on when he looked at the paper and* stated this, If you do the right things and then do it, you will be happy.

Sounds to me like he has it down, I don't even think the little genius needs school.


*I changed my original wording here, because I unintentionally made it sound like he can read, which he cannot. He is smart but not that smart, he is only three.

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

"Not a worm!" Genius! Send that boy straight to college! :)

Anonymous said...

I have a 4 year old who's feeling the same way this year.

Last year, the two older kids went back to public school after homeschooling for 5 years and this year, my 2nd grader is going to public school.

So, my little guy is feeling left out. Hopefully, he'll be going to Headstart too. We find out all the details next Tuesday.

Good luck!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

He is adorable. I hope you have lots of great one on one time with him. Thank you also for your wonderful words of encouragement. You are a beautiful person. Let your light shine bright. :-)

t i m said...

I didn't learn that until I was 10, you've a young Einstein there. :)

thotlady said...

He sounds brilliant to me. Kids are so wonderful...especially at his age.

Reading already...amazing.

White Hot Magik said...

OH crap! I just realized that I implied he actually was reading. He was just pretending, I just thought what he said was profound for him, especially since the other fortunes already read aloud weren't at all similar to his made up one.

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

I think he's brilliant! One of my twins has a speech thing too (her R's and W's).

BTW, I tagged you for a meme. :)

Anonymous said...

Mine is only 2, but if we ever have a 2nd, I can only expect the same. :) Kids are so precious.

Jen said...

I just LOVE little boys. :) He is too cute!

Also, next time you visit my blog, in the upper left hand corner at the tippy top there is a little logo "the cutest blog on the block." If you click on that, you will go to a site that has pretty (and FREE) decor for your blog!

Damselfly said...

Yes, he is a smart little cookie!

Should I ask what a tarantula hawk is?!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that great when we can take the time and just explore with the little ones. I love to walk around real slow and watch jake as he hunkers down and checks out the geckos or snails or dead frogs!

Very sute that he wanted to go to kindergarten. Soon little man! Soon!

Shoozles said...

AWWWW he is a cutie. a moms job is never and easy one is it.

Good to meet you WHM thanks so much for the blog visit adding you to my blog roll.