My husband and I have never been big celebrators of VD day as we like to call it, at least not since high school.
Why? It's a pain to go and try and have dinner that night and well I guess in some ways we aren't that big on romance in general.
I bet the light bulb is popping over someone's head, thinking this could be part of your problem Nora, a little romance never killed anyone.
Tell that to Romeo and Juliet....
I can be trite and cite all those little things we like to say:
"You should appreciate your loved ones every day"
"I don't need a fabricated holiday to remind me to be nice to those I love."
But then again, if I came home tonight to a bouquet of roses and chocolate, I wouldn't cry either, it always feels nice to be appreciated.
I have been thinking quite a bit lately about how much my life has changed romantically in the last year. "I love my husband because (blank)" has popped into my head and out of my mouth more frequently lately.
Last year around this time was our first big blow out. The one where he got really mad at me and took his ring off and put it in the drawer and told me he thought we were through and disappeared the rest of the weekend. We got over that day and had a few more blowouts and eventually did separate and then we have gotten back together. A lot has changed in twelve months.
Little Max is having problems and biting a lot at school. In fact he was very nearly kicked out, I think the director was concerned that since life at home hasn't been ideal*, he is acting out something from home. (*The impending move, dad's job change, mom's stress) I think they daycare may be a bit of a component as well, when he bites or hits, he has to play with the teacher alone. I picked him the other day after an incident and he was happily coloring with one teacher while the rest of the kids were outside. Me thinks he may have a reason to get in trouble.
I was thinking about it, and while we are not perfect, I think as parents and as marriage partners, we have come a long way baby. His parents aren't fighting, or holding anger in, his dad is playing with him all the time. Mommy makes sure we do something together every day. He's almost two and has found an inappropriate way to express himself, he's not a future Hannibal Lector. (I hope) So we took them out of daycare to save some money and hopefully help Max get over it.
Right this minute, the hubby is at home playing Mr. Mom, and I am at work. A complete reversal from last year. I don't know if I could have imagined him taking care of the kids like that, much less wanting to. He's not bad at it either, it was complete with dishwashing, going to the store and cooking dinner last night. Z and I did valentines cards while all that was going on I couldn't help but think, I don't need a better valentine than that right there.
2 comments:
I played Mr. Mom while I went to school. It was great. More fathers should try it.
I don't think you could ask for a better Valentine!
Post a Comment