Friday, June 15, 2007

I have a story I want to tell, should I?

I got an email today from an aunt with a letter from a cousin of mine.  She is a career missionary and served most of the last 20 years or so in Kenya, a few years ago she felt called to certain country formerly ruled by the Taliban. I know our family has often been concerened for her safety in a country where teaching the Gospel is not allowed.  In fact some, maybe even me, at the time I heard of her going there, thought it was foolish and dangerous. I mean I respected her convictions but wondered if it was the right thing to do.

Today I feel ashamed to have thought that.  Proselyting  is something I have viewed with skepticism for some time.  I grew up in a Baptist Church and as you may know, witnessing to others about your relationship with Christ is one of the many things we are called upon to do.  This is something I struggle with.  Perhaps it is as simple as I am scared of others rejection.  I really do hate rejection, I take it to heart as part of my self worth, more than I should.  Perhaps it more about my lack of knowledge, I doubt I could argue with someone and quote scripture to them.  Sometimes I think it is my social conscience, I hate people who tell others what to do. What gives them the right?

However, I do think I have been the receipient of some amazing grace and want to share it, despite what you may think of me.  I do like discussion and don't always think people have to beleive people have to beleive the same as me.  I just want to share my story.  After I all I have a cousin who beleives so strongly she is literally putting her life in jeapordy and here I am keeping silent. 

Until next time that is.  The entry got pretty long so I decided to break it up a bit.

1 comment:

Hyperher said...

Maybe it's the introvert in you, or an acceptance that for some, spirituality is a very personal and private thing. I often admire people like Mormon missionaries, who approach and go into stranger's homes, although I don't quite agree with their tenets. I recently joined a church after totally losing my faith. It takes courage to talk about faith.