Friday night we didn't have anywhere we had to be. Wow. It has been a few months since that has happened. While contemplating what to do, the little one had a fit about something and was sent to his room, he promptly fell asleep, while I finished up dinner, big brother also fell asleep, so it was dinner for two instead of four.
While we ate hubby and I were talking (I know!) and decided that he should go down and rent No Country for Old Men since we weren't able to get to see it in the theater. We have really liked all the Coen brothers films we have seen. Personally I like the way no matter who they portray they seem to always give an honest portrayal of the characters.
In particular this movie was relevant to us since the story line takes place near where we live and quite a bit of it was filmed in New Mexico and the places in Texas where it was filmed are near us as well. The opening scenes with the hunter are typical of what the landscape looks like around here. That is what I see as I look out my window typing this. When we watched the extras the film makers talked about how the landscape, it's harsh environment was critical to the film, almost a character even.
It is a harsh environment, to date, we have had about 0.86 inches of precipitation for the year. (On average our yearly total is less than 8 inches.) This is a dry year, normally we would maybe have double that by now. The wind has been brutal ripping up everything that isn't nailed down and some that is. Even in the summer when I think the pasture looks green after monsoon rains, most of you would find it yellow and tan, they are always the dominant color. I know many people who view all the native plants as weeds, and the landscape as ugly. I find beauty in them. I revel in every blooming plant I find, sometimes no bigger than few inches, and I marvel at how they can survive, even bloom on so little.
Last spring I took a few pictures of the plants in the pasture. Some of you may take exception to my using that term for our land, but it is where the horses eat.


Paper flower (Tagetes lucida) about two inches tall.
Native Verbena (Verbena species.)
Soaptree Yucca (Yucca elata) our state flower
Poor shot, but a close up of a yucca flower.On a large scale is harsh country and a bit wild. I still marvel at the little bursts of beauty and love it despite its harsh nature.


8 comments:
That big rain that killed all my cucumbers and lettuce and green onions? The rain gauge said five inches. We are definitely in different climates. I lived in North TX for a couple of a years and couldn't get over how dry it was. The Hub and I used to joke that God would spit and then the whole thing would be over. We thought it was funny.
I love it when you write about New Mexico. I really need to get out there. I'm totally digging these pictures!
I've always loved the desert. Yes - water is GREAT... but there is something amazing when in the desert you come across these amazing spurts of beauty... flowers and plants that seemingly shouldn't grow and thrive in such an environment. But they do.
I like to apply that theory to my life. Grow when others think you can't...
KC
Oh it drives me nuts when there isn't much rain. I'm from Kansas and lived in Western Kansas for two and half years (and grew up there a little since grandparents live out there)--so I understand the brown and yellows. You appreciate any bit of color that comes up. The wheat in the late spring and summer that grows in and fields of unending sunflowers are just beautiful. Great pics!!
We liked the film too. I think of Georgia O'Keefe when I see your pictures. We'll eventually get out there if this is where we are going to retire.
Ohhhh... what great pics! It is raining here as I type this - wish I could send some your way!
Hooray, I found your blog at last!
"I'm an OIL man" - I love that movie.
Its amazing how even in that seemingly barren environment, beautiful life can blossom so freely - great pics.
From that picture it almost looks like some sort of salvia.
Post a Comment