Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Speed Limit is 35, slow down...

Some people have a habit of pointing out things you know but are trying to ignore.

I call these people, husbands, parents, aunts, evil friends.

I try to remind them to buy fabulous presents. They try to remind me of the number that is impending. Half past thirty, five till forty. Whatever. Then the bratty high school kids have to graduate and I realize I am more likely to know their parents, and have even gone to school with some of them. Then my quote unquote friend I graduated with has to post pictures on myspace of his son who is graduating THIS YEAR. Dude, that kid was born senior year! What the "HEdoublehockeysticks".

The point is, thirty five, as a number seems high. So far age milestones haven't really mattered to me, but this year it hit me for a while. Even the thought of one of those fancy chocolate cheesecakes to eat didn't cheer me up. Then we went to see Indiana Jones for my birthday and I couldn't help think as the movie opened how Mr. Ford is starting to show his age. Then he started kicking butt and I realized I still have thirty years until I get that old and if he can kick butt that age so can I. Do not dare burst my bubble and tell me that they used stunt men and special effects in the movie. DO NOT, old people can be grumpy. ; )

15 comments:

mumof3boyz said...

Went through the same thing this week. My best friend from high school sent me a high school graduation notice for her son. Then a few days later, I found another high schools friend's daughter on facebook. She is in her first year of college. She was born our senior year. HELLO!!!
When did these kids get old?

Malathionman said...

You've got a problem... Cheesecake fixes everything.

Katy said...

Thirty-five isn't old. I have plenty of friends who aren't even going to START having kids until them. I think your friends are just too fertile.

Elizabeth said...

You and me both sister! (Well, in June anyway)

Is this the age we remain for the next 15 years?

Happy Birthday!

Hyperher said...

Happy belated! Tell me your favorite color and I will make you something.

Dory said...

I saw Indiana Jones this week too - he still ROCKS, huh? You've got nothing to worry about.... I'm 42 now and I've decided, so far - 40's are the best. Just old enough to have some wisdom/introspection on life - and finally able to see yourself for what you're WORTH, instead of constantly being worried about falling short. It's a good place to be. Seriously.

Besides, it's so NOT about the number, really. Happy Late Birthday!

NB said...

Oh, pfffttt... 35 is a good age and is just before things start to truly go south. Enjoy it while you can. I'm standing in 49, on the edge of, ahem, "middle" age and, well, I ache. Dammit. I ache.
Tom is right; cheesecake fixes everything. I would also add that a nice glass of wine doesn't just fix but puts that rosey edge on it.

Enjoy! Happy Birthday!

White Hot Magik said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. Technically I am 34 until Sunday.

@Malathionman-- you are right. Chocolate Cheesecake fixes everything.

@Natalie, will add the wine, good suggetion.

@Bird, these were the people having kids early, didn't pay attention in sex ed.

@Sara, it is blue, cobalt blue.

@Dory, Odd that I am not worried about 40, I am going to be 40 and fabulous.

Anonymous said...

You know, okay, yes, I'm younger in age but I also know what you are talking about. It's like all of a sudden you realize things have continued to move along and you keep aging. Sometims I have to remind myself I'm no longer in high school or college because little life events are occurring that wouldn't have happened then. It's nice to know that I'm getting a little older but it's also shocking. Does that make ANY sense? :)

Becca said...

35 is so not old! 35 is the new 25! I am 44 and the hubs is 47! Enjoy every moment of your age! You are like a fine bottle of wine, getting better every day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

giggles said...

Hwppy Birthday to YOU..
Happy Birthday to YOU..
Haappy Birthdaaay to YOOOUUUU..
Happy birthday to YOU!!!!
I hope youi are enjoying your day!

Anonymous said...

I am turning 35 this year as well and have been looking at my life wondering... WT...??? I'm officially getting old!

I've been wondering if I was the only one feeling like that... but apparently not. And that is nice to know... and that it is still acceptable to eat chocolate cheesecake to fix our woes!!!

Happy birthday hon... and happy memorial day to you and your family! Hope it was a good one for you!

Anonymous said...

You don't look a day over 34, honest. ;)

Mocha said...

Go kick some Indiana Jones butt, girl! Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday! I love "Indie," and I'm sure he did his own stunts and everyone elses in the movie, too! Smiles!