Friday, June 13, 2008

Because Awesomeness is Free

I have two cousins born my senior year of high school, they have chagrined me by turning 17 this year. However tonight I feel as though I have some measure of revenge on them. (Why do I need revenge? I don't know, because they are teenagers and need teasing.)

My mother asked me to make a small scrapbook to send with one of them as she is leaving home next week to attend Princeton for the summer, she was selected to part of a summer program there before her senior year. I have been looking for the best photos and thinking of snarky comments to include, because that is how one makes scraping fun, plus the point is to help her NOT be homesick. However sometimes you just can't orchestrate events better than real life with throw at you.

Earlier today one of the cousins my age asked if we wanted to join them to go to the movies and see Kung Fu Panda. He invited his sister, brother and kids, I invited my brother and kids, before you know it we have almost two full rows of theater seats taken up. (It is only 9 across before you get freaked out.)

As luck would have it, although we have a two screen megacineplex, there was only one choice tonight. Technical difficulties shut down Zohan. Apparently our theater isn't high enough wattage for Sandler. So one my poor unsuspecting teenage cousins shows up after the previews have started and sits in front of us, her poor date seemed a little startled by two full rows of cousins behind them, as was she.

Seriously we are a motley bunch, would you want these guys behind you on a date?


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the movie. I'd be throwing popcorn in front of me the whole time. Were you able to restrain yourself? ;)

White Hot Magik said...

I didn't' throw popcorn, mostly because it would be cheaper to throw pennies. I did call out her name to make sure she knew we were all there and so did everyone else in the theater. (I didn't really yell, just a loud whisper.)

Dory said...

LOL Too funny! I love it. :o)

Malathionman said...

"two screen megacineplex"

What the hell kind of MEGAcineplex is that? Do they have out houses for bathrooms? Cook popcorn over a stove? Is there a place to tie your hourse out front? Did the movie have sound?

White Hot Magik said...

@ Malathionman. My husband wants you to know all of the above is true. We do have digital sound and everything, and yes you can tie your horse out front, but we use the American spelling. One service they don't provide is guns for shooting at the end of the picture show though, you have to bring your own pistol for that.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. Small towns though ~ you will sure enough see at least half of your family at any given place.

Malithionman's comment is really funny. When I lived in Connecticut everyone asked the same questions! They all though I was from Texas (my accent) and when I told them I was from NM, their first reaction was to wonder how long I was going to stay in this country. But they did ask about horses (american spelling) and guns and shootouts! And they were serious!

Tried the green chili enchiladas (did I already tell you that? Old age you know)and hubby really liked them. I had to throw some jalapenos in his portion, though.

Take care~
xoxo
Dana

Anonymous said...

LOL that's really funny!

Kids these days.. don't they make ya feel so darned old?

Katy said...

Sounds kind of like my family--anything to give you a hard time. I probably would have left if I were her!

Anonymous said...

Next time your cousin will learn to arrive a little earlier @ the cinema & inconspicuously sit @ the back.

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Or she could chose an entirely different experience for her date. Wait...on second thought the movie sounds just about right.

Elizabeth said...

I won't know until the 7th if I'll need a full blown surgery. I suspect that I will. It's too crunchy in there! Perhaps someone will be kind enough to give me an opinion right when I get my MRI done...we'll see. I would, however, love to get some pictures of my x-rays and MRI.. that would make for good blogging! LOL

Jen said...

My husband took my 7 year old to Kung Fu Panda and thought it was a cute flick. While they went to that show, my 17 year old son and I went to see Zohan. You should wait for it's release on DVD - it isn't worth seeing at the theater. (It had a few funny parts, but not $30 worth of funny parts! And I am even an Adam Sandler fan!)

P.S. We must have graduated highschool the same year... '91!

Anonymous said...

That's one way to make sure kids aren't up to no good at a theatre... bring the whole fam-dam-ly and whomever else tags along!

Sounds like it was a good time!

KC

Anonymous said...

Sure why not. But then again it's hard for me to remember back to my teenage years. I am coming up on my 35 year class reunion in a couple of years. 17 years old seems very far away.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! :D Ha ha ha.

Unknown said...

Too funny - smiles!

Katy said...

Bloglines did the same thing to me. I guess they were having issues or something. I had about three feeds that suddendly sprang back to life today.