Saturday, August 23, 2008

Trying on a new dress.

I have been inspired lately, some of you have really spiffied up your blogs. I have spent the better part of the last few hours trying to do that to mine. It didn't take me so long because it was hard but because I was trying to find a background to go with my header. I may have to change it or learn digital scrapbooking and make my own background. You may notice that I added a blogroll over there in the corner. I thought that was cool feature how it shows the last post. I didn't realize I had never put one on here, sorry if you have linked me and then felt left out.

So on to other news or lack there of. Zach and mom survived first week of school just fine. You should be proud to know I sent insects for his first show and tell. Ladybugs because last week they were learning the letter L. Do you think I can come up with a bug for every letter? That might be a tough call, but I may try. His teacher may hate me by the end of the year. She told me she may call me in for when the study insects in the spring. Oh and just a side note for you teachers out there... as an entomologist I have a wee suggestion. Consider having your insect teaching section to the fall. There is a larger variety of insects out now in most parts of the country than in March or even April.

Monkey Toe Momma from Donna Reed in Blue Jeans tagged me to a meme with 10 weird things about myself. I have done that before, right here, so go check it out if you are interested, but it was only six, so here are four more.

  1. My mother counts this as one of my weird traits, I have a degree in entomology, plant pathology and weed science. She always snickers at weed science. No, I don't know how to grow cannabis, so quit bugging me, I know how to control pests ya know.
  2. I cannot eat pasta, cook pasta or wash dishes where pasta may have end up floating around in the water.
  3. While pasta gives me the heebie jeebies, I have raised insect colonies no problem. Didn't even make me get the creepie crawlies.
  4. I was born in Roswell, New Mexico. My husband claims this is proof I am an alien. Further proof? When we watched Lilo and Stitch the other day, the Man in Black at the end claimed to be in Roswell in 1973, the year I was born. He thinks that completely clinches it, as though that movie is based on some sort of fact.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOHH I like it!!!
It's a really GREAT dress!!! Keep it... its a keeper!

KC

Katy said...

Love these colors.

You HATE pasta? How can that be? I feel that way about eggs--I want nothing to do with them.

Becca said...

You hate pasta? Are you human? Should I check for your pulse? Your space looks great! I love it!!! My father in law was an entomologist for the mosquito abatement district in yuba sutter california for 35+ years!

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Oh no!!

First the sushi bit and now pasta! What are we going to eat when we hang out??

Forget eating we'll just drink wine! :)

Amber said...

Wow, I love the new look. You have inspired me. I am in dire need of a makeover. Perhaps I should go shopping? :-)

NB said...

My last post was all about being torn over wordpress or blogger. I want a better, prettier, functionality and blogger is so *plain* but, hey, look what you did!

Looks great. :)

See, now, I don't really understand that pasta versus bugs deal. Pasta and bugs are both squiggly, slimey (in some cases), and wiggly-bouncy.

However, bugs are much more fascinating (as long as I don't have to touch them) to watch.

I have a thing about textures and that's really my only food issue. I'll eat pudding but jello kind of creeps me out. So, raw stuff is too weird for me... or slimey... Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Crazy...no pasta!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you survived the first week of school -- what a turning point in a mom's life!

The bugs sound like fun.

Weed science, eh? Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of crab grass organically this time of year???

Unknown said...

I like your new dress ... and pasta - smiles! And, come on, you really don't know how to grow cannabis? LOL.

Fabiola said...

The new look is great. The colors are great.

But I cannot understand how you won´t like past ; )

Fabiola

Hyperher said...

Love the look too!

My husband is deathly afraid of raw cotton and spiders. I hate showing up late for things, so much so I would rather skip it than enter a room full of people late. I also refuse to order donuts in a drive thru. So the pasta thing is no biggie!

Jen said...

Woowee! I love the new look!

How cool that you are an entomologist!!! My oldest son has always loved insects (I am terrified of them!) Anyway, Matt placed second in the entomology division of the state FFA conference! We were so proud of him for knowing his bugs! It would be a dream come true for him to become an entomologist!

No likey pasta? C'mon now... you gotta be kidding! :)

White Hot Magik said...

I think the pasta hate is both a texture thing and a battle of wills with my parents that went to far. I honestly gag when I try to eat it. I know how sad.

White Hot Magik said...

Thanks everyone for not mentioning the half a million typos in this post. Crimony! What was I doing when I wrote this?

Anonymous said...

Love the background. Very pretty. :)

I could live on pasta...

And I think it's very funny that your husband uses Lilo and Stitch as proof you're an alien. Fantastic.

:)

Shoozles said...

the blog looks great!

I have a preying mantis in my sage. I took photos of her on my son (in flickr). Any info on them? I am really fascinated with the fact you are an entomologist :))

thotlady said...

I have a surprise for you over on my site. Take a look!

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

Neat! I love the new decor! :)
Thanks for doing the Meme even though you already did it! I can't believe you hate pasta - I live off of it!
And, your an entomologist? Cool! I should have asked you when I found that giant beetle in my backyard! Also, now the "BugLady" name makes sense. :)