My reading for pleasure time seems to have slowed down to a dribble the last few months. Thankfully 21st century technology has come to my rescue. We can listen to mp3 players at work and I have found podcasts and audio books. I used to be anti audio books since I love to read, but now I love this media. I was very excited to hear an ad on our radio station touting that our local library now is providing audiobooks through netlibrary.org. I recently listened to a five book series by Lynn Austin called Chronicles of the King. Loved them! I even looked forward to doing dishes and laundry, because I would let myself listen while doing the chores.
Next up I have list of classic titles all mentioned in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentleman, I just downloaded Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde tonight. I also have a list of nonfiction books I would like to listen too and will have to wait until I can afford to buy them since they aren't available from the library. While I can devour a fiction book pretty quickly by reading, I don't seem to plow right through nonfiction and think I would get more "read" by listening.
I also am digging listening to podcasts. My favorites being, A Prairie Home Companion, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Dave Ramsey, This American Life, Intentional Living with Dr. Carlson, Family Life Today and the Passion Podcast with Louie Giglio. I pick all of these up through iTunes. There is a downside though, don't listen to much funny stuff like Wait Wait while at work, your coworkers will start to wonder about the girl who laughs to herself too much.
I also of course dig getting some new music. My most recent favorites are Travis Cottrell's Run to the Cross and Jesus Saves both of which are live recordings. We are working that music up for our Church Choir. My biggest problem with listening to that is not singing along. I am sure my cubicle cell mates want to hear my alto part all by itself. Even though they aren't all one note like the alto parts of old, it might not increase my popularity rating at work. Shhh, there goes the wierd girl who sings harmony to herself....
So what are you listening to?
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Another way to catch up on my reading....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
For books:
Brava Valentine
For music:
Lady Antebellum
Gloriana
I love audible.com!
I still haven't jumped on the tech band wagon just yet. I like my music spontaneous and I love the feel and smell of a book. Your titles rock, though!
Our library has started offering audio books as well although I haven't figure out how to download them. I love the public library.
What am I listening to right now? Sadly, whatever Charlie makes me listen to, which includes some pretty non-descript pop music.
All hail to audio books.
I listen to a lot of podcasts from BBC Comedy – I’m not sure if that’s available on the US i-Tunes though. ;)
Ooh, you're an alto. Cool. Singing any harmony part solo to yourself, though, yes, if someone heard that, they would wonder.
I love Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! Haven't listened in ages, though.
To answer your question on my recent post, yes, I did have my son allergy tested. The only thing that turned up was a borderline allergy to peanuts and nuts. But I think the skin prick testing isn't as conclusive as doing a real elimination diet and bringing foods back in to test them out. There's a big difference between what goes on just under your skin and what your digestive system does. Also, there is a difference between an out-and-out allergy and an intolerance, and that's what we're looking at now -- chemicals found naturally in foods called salicylates and amines. Good luck!
Post a Comment