Monday, January 28, 2008

I promise I won't become snobbish!

I have lost count of the number of posts started but not finished.  I guess the overriding thing going on in my life isn't something I am ready to write about. So I should just move on and quit trying to make sense of it I guess.

I know that sounds horribly dark and mysterious, it's not really.  Life around here is pretty good.  Ben has had a serendipitous job change.  Last year he quit teaching and I really hated that he wasn't going to be a band director anymore.  Music has always been his life.  He started off being a music store manager and that ended, which I was glad because it wasn't going anywhere long term.  Then he became a locksmith, almost by default it was the only job that called him back.   Nice people, and he liked the work,  he bored me with long stories about fixing locks.  However it wasn't paying well and his training period was up and due to the fluctuations of a small business the promised raise was no where near what we had been told.  But he still liked the job, and I was looking into doing something more permanent for work. (Other than substitute teaching and ebay.)  Then he was asked to apply for a job as the Manager of the Symphony in the next town north of us. (The town famous for an illegal immigrant crash in 1957.)

It is a perfect fit for his skills it and it more than doubled our income and  put us back to near teacher salary.  (So we aren't rich but not as poor.)  And he loves it so far.  The first concert is in a few weeks.  For the first time in a long time I am worried about having something nice enough to wear somewhere. Although this is the desert southwest, things are still a bit more casual, it don't need a ballgown or anything too fancy.  I haved missed going to concerts this year here in the sticks, we went to quite a bit of the university performances in Las Cruces.

I will admit it is much nicer to say my husband is the Manager of the Symphony.  Although most people we know here have never been to a symphony and have no idea what that means.  Mostly he is in charge of getting the musicians, they are hired from the area, Lubbock, Albuquerque, El Paso and so on.  Lucky he knows so many people from his experience and if not it seems like they knew his dad.  He also does fundraising, and ticket sales and the backstage stuff and whatever the Maestro needs him to do.  I don't think the "Maestro" insists on being called that and is a really nice guy.  Which is wonderful because we have known a few diva's or divos in our day. 

So the bottom line is that I can put off having an actual job a while longer and it gives me time to do what I want and need to do right now.  Hopefully I'll be able to explain and put into words sometime soon what that is, without boring you to tears.  I love it when a plan comes together, especially one better than I had imagined!

5 comments:

Malathionman said...

Does that mean you'll be wearing something that requires you to shave your armpits?

Elizabeth said...

I relish each opportunity to dress up. And shave my armpits! (Thank goodness I wasn't drinking coffee when I read malathionman's comment or I would have spit it out on the monitor. And that would have been messy.)

I love it when things worked out much better than planned! I hope it continues along that path.

And we don't mind half finished posts.

White Hot Magik said...

To answer Malathionman's question. Perhaps, although I don't think my arms are ready for baring. I might need to get rid of my farmers tan and I don't know work out a bit so people don't think I am part chicken with wings like that.

Elizabeth said...

If the wind starts kicking up it would be best NOT to be wearing a dress, a la Marilyn Monroe. ;)

Malathionman said...

I am the king of the farmer tan!