skip to main |
skip to sidebar


Isn't he cute!
His name is Sgt. Pepper affectionately called Sarge.
Many have asked his breed. He is a Cocktail Wienie. I don't know if this breed is recognized by AKC, since we made up the name. He is half Cocker Spaniel and half stray Wiener Dog.
(I have to give credit to Ben, I was calling him a Cocker Wienie, a much more suggestive name.)
I think he is perfect, he was the last pick of the litter. No one wanted him, but he is perfect for us, the other puppies had long hair like their mother. Short hair is preferable to us with all the desert flora around our place.
Any dog training advice appreciated, this is our first dog of our family, although the hubster and I had dogs as kids that has been a while.
The boys have already figured out he likes to slide at the park.
He gets cold and needs to cuddle. How sweet.
Since he will chew toys, the boys have been more apt to pick their stuff up.
Now I am living with four male creatures, possibly five because who knows what the hermit crab is. Maybe I will have to buy some more hens this spring so I can have the majority.
5 comments:
Awe... What a cutie! He is adorable and will hopefully live up to his name. I love "cocktail weinie" and cracked up!
Here's my (Noah's Ark) advice:
*Have toys that are exclusively his and always kept in the same place.
*Get him a crate so he will always have his own space and you can leave him for short periods of time without worrying about him getting into stuff. Make sure and put a doggy bed or blanket in there and keep him in the crate at night, locked in, and let him out first thing in the morning. Use the same term "Get in your crate" and he will eventually learn to put himself in there.
*Never use the crate for punishment. Ever.
*Don't give him rawhide. He's a small dog and they really have a hard time digesting the stuff. Greenies are good and you can buy little dog (I recommend the small ones) nylar (or something like that) bones that will help his teeth but he won't actually be able to chew it up and get it into his digestive system.
*Dachshunds are notorious for having back problems so be careful when you pick him up.
*Always use the same terms when training him: "sit", "down", "stay", etc... Otherwise, it will be confusing.
*Never get into the "chase me" game with him 'cause it will eventually become impossible to get him to come to you.
*To get him to come to you, use food and/or play "hide 'n seek" which will teach him to search for and stay with you. It's fun, too.
*Don't take him to dog parks, Petsmart, etc... until he's at least a year old. Get him fixed. And stay on top of his shots. He needs to be socialized but these particular places can harbor diseases, etc... Let him know other dogs but be careful to keep him away from lots of dogs in public places. At least until he's built up his immune system.
*As cute as he is, never up on beds or furniture or you will be totally sorry. lol
*Read or watch Cesar Milan and establish your alpha's. He can never, ever, ever snip or bite or growl around food, the kids, his toys, or be possessive of anything. In fact, it's a good thing to put your hand in his food bowl, take his chew toy and give it back to him, and play gently with him. Tug of war can cause aggressiveness... watch the kids around this to ensure Sarge doesn't get possessive and nip.
*Lots 'o love.
*Always feed at the same time.
*Lots 'o fresh water.
*Always exercise before training... it will help to keep him focused.
Hope that helps and good luck!
He's adorable.
:)
Natalie
I'm also the lone female among 2 dogs, a cat, and a man. However, do of the 3 pets are fixed so they could be swayed in my direction!
Jesus Nat!
Here is my great advice, stick your head in his bowl while he is eating and take a bite ot two just to make sure he isn't possessive!
She is right about the doxie backs (and all that other stuff too) don't let him get overweight.
I won't give you any dog raising advice. Mine is spoiled rotten. We completely ruined any training that he had when we got him.
Cocktail weinie is, perhaps, the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while. You should start breeding them and selling them to starlets with too much money. Before you know it, Paris Hilton will be out on the town with her cocktail weinie.
Awwww he is beautiful! Many blessings on your ever expanding family!
Post a Comment