Monday, April 14, 2008

I'll take Inappropriate Questions for $1000 Alex.

Yesterday I noticed an ad on the front page of our local newspaer. (Yes, they are rebels and advertise on the front page.) It beckoned stay at home moms to become delivery drivers, it even mentioned you could take your kids with you. Since I still don't have a sitter for the wee one, this sounded like a good idea to me. Our paper only runs Tuesday - Friday in the afternoons and on Sunday morning.

I dropped by today and the man doing the hiring wasn't in but one of the ladies gladly handed me an application. Some of the questions I have never seen on a job application before and I have to wonder if they are even legal.

In case you cannot read them well, here they are....

Single, Married, Divorced or Widowed?

Wife/Husband's Name?

Wife/Husband's Occupation?

How many children do you have?

Are they in school?

Height?

Weight?

Hair Color?

Eye Color?

Maybe I should throw in my bra size as a bonus.

Addendum: I haven't decided what to do with this application yet. What would you do?

Turn it in and say nothing. (That makes my stomach turn thinking about it.)
Don't turn it in and say nothing.
Ask for an explanation.
Cause a ruckus and turn them into Department of Labor.
Even better write a letter to the editor of this dear little newspaper.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Um... where I come from those questions would be illegal. Maybe it's a state to state thing??? No... it can't possibly be. Asking for someone's weight opens up a major can of worms, especially if someone could claim that they were denied a job because they thought they were being discriminated against because of their weight. I'm surprised that they are trying to pull that off.

NB said...

As a hiring manager, I can tell you with absolute certainty that those questions are illegal and can be cause for a discrimination suit.

Yikes!

NB said...

Depends on what you want to get out of it. And... you live in a very small town so, bear that in mind. You could cause a ruckus and then become some pariah in your own home. Or, you could stand up for all women (or people, for that matter) and say something.
I, personally, think it would be quite interesting to fill out and turn in the application and then get an interview. During the interview, I would ask about the innappropriate and obviously illegally discriminate questions on the app. I would even be so bold as to ask whether or not they even realized how illegally discriminating those questions are and then... I'd ask what bearing they had on the job (description) they were hiring.
That oughta scare the pants (or skirt, don't wanna discriminate, dontcha know) right off them!
But, seriously, do you actually want the job? If so... tread carefully and ask the same questions but do so from an informative place.
So, again, depends on what you want to get out of it.
:)

Hyperher said...

I agree. It's discriminatory to ask questions like those. I don't know what I would do. Sadly, it would depend on how much I needed the job. Do yuo have a legal aid or human rights commission you can check with?

White Hot Magik said...

I don't think I need the job. I went in on a whim. I think I may need to do another post about why the possible discrimination raises my hackles.

Elizabeth said...

"Do you recommend push ups for someone who when they get in the position their boobs outreach their arms?"

LMAO! Um... well, I think a chest press might be in order if, um, the girls get in the way of keeping proper form in the traditional pushup. In my professional opinion, of course (just be sure you're wearing a really good exercise bra!). ;)