Last week was our county fair. Someone called me die hard because I took the boys out nearly every day. I think they were just remembering the old days. When I was the perennial runner up in the fair queen contest. Seriously, I was supposed to win that year, I was the first runner up the year before. I later learned it was because I didn't use the whole can of spray starch on my jeans, they couldn't actually stand up on their own.
4-H was a big part of my life growing up. First broken tooth, first dance, first clandestine make out session, first blue ribbon, first time having a battle of wills with a 2000 pound angry steer. The Fair is the culmination of a year of hard work and fun, we would get to run loose and eat greasy hamburgers from the food stand all week.
Then there are the important things, like signing up for the boot giveway from the local western store "Bennies: The West's most Western Store". I have only been trying to win as long as I could write my name. I also need to get my free flyswatters from the bank booth, stock up on pencils from the Sheriff's Posse booth, because I don't want to actually buy those things for my house.
Did I mention that I was a third generation 4-Her? My grandmother is quite pleased that we plan to make it four generations. My boys, while not old enough for 4-H yet, got to participate in the fair too. While I would love for them to take after me and show steers, that is the only group of animals they don't let the little kids show. Why? I don't know, so we had to settle for pigs and puppies. Luckily we have a 4-H family that is keeping their animals at our place since they live in town and they let they boys show their pigs in the "booster" aka little kid show. All the kids who showed got a blue ribbon and a dollar, you can guess which the kids were more impressed with.
I'll probably be just as die hard next year, and have to take them out every day, and show more animals. Plus I have to keep trying to win those boots, and I may just lobby to raise the age on the fair queen contests too.

16 comments:
wonderful. I had never even heard of 4-H until I was in college. Us city girls were into totally different things.
Looks like fun! Our county fair here isn't very agriculture- or livestock-oriented. I'd say it's more about rides and entertainment. There are contests, but they're for art and other projects.
You are the cutest girl in the top photo!
So exactly how do you win a contest with a bull?
So cute!! I especially like the boys with the pigs, they look like they're having so much fun.
Those pictures are just fantastic! I would love to take my girls out to see something like that. Pig washing... that could be the next big thing! :)
@Holly -- I didn't bulls, just steers, and trust me I didn't always win, maybe I'll tell some of those stories next week.
@bird -- I got out of the whole ag thing to some degree in college. Well except for the fact I got a degree in Agricultural Biology.
@dragonfly -- they did have lots of fun.
@elizabeth -- you want to join my business?
This is a wonderful post! I love the pictures! Rural life is grand...
I always wanted to be in 4-H. I grew up in Northern California but never had a farm!
Love the pics!
Great pics! I honored you with an award on my post today... come on by to get it! Smiles!
How awesome is this!!! I love county fairs!!! They offer so much - we have a bigger one in September - called the Western Fair. I love going to it - they have everything from animals to candies and pies and clothes...
You know???
I love that your boys were involved and loved it! The pictures here (and on FB) were awesome... Thanks for sharing them!
KC
Tell me when you open your "pig wash". I'll show up, and make sure you get behind my ears.
My mom was a 4-H leader! She taught a cooking class. She had about 12 girls and 1 boy. My brother and sister were in 4-H too and showed cows at our local fair but for some reason I never did. I did halter train 2 Jersey heifers my Dad bought after he gave up milking. I was so proud.
Love love love the pics! Wow... bet you had some serious laundry to do after that! lol
Holy Flashback!
Fairs are such fun! I never went to one until we moved to the country in Oregon 5 years ago, and I've really been missing out. Glad you guys are having fun!
Too bad they don't have them in Mozambique . . .
Wow, you really are a diehard fair fan.
I am originally from Wisconsin and would attend county and state fairs in that wonderful state.
I miss them when summer roles around.
What a great mom you are to take your children each year.
Wow! What a cool picture! I went to junior high and high school in NM. I saw A LOT of Rockies back then!
Post a Comment