Maybe it is my age, I find some topics starting to interest me more. History has suddenly become fascinating, I have read a few history books lately, there was no teacher requiring them. I know, I am worried about my ears sprouting hair too.
Politics have suddenly taken on a new interest as well. Of course this race is making history with a woman who was a serious contender, a black nominee for president. Now we have a woman vice presidential candidate. Regardless of how you feel about any of the above people, it is an exciting time in American politics. Now I am checking my nose hair, can you see it?
There is a good reason I have never even been tempted to write a political minded entry. I don't consider myself well informed enough. I try to stay well informed and yet without being an expert in economic, foreign policy, etc it is hard to sort through all the opinions out there and make a judgment. I have a political opinion? Quick are my teeth falling out?
Which takes me on a quick tangent. One of my main complaints would be that the most media outlets seem biased one way or the other. I am sure most of us can figure out what party most reporters belong to. Now granted my journalist education took place in the late 80's and early 90's but I recall being told to be unbiased. I am guessing that isn't taught in Journalism 101 anymore. Now I am grumpy about the press. Did I just find a wrinkle?
Most often in my voting, I have tried to be informed about the candidates stance on the issues that were most important to me. I have also went with my gut, because I try to ascertain the character of the person. I haven't even remotely decided in this election. It is extra hard for me, I am registered as an Independent, don't vote the party line and in terms of my ideals can neither align myself with Democrats or Republicans. In the last presidential election I voted Libertarian because I just could not stomach voting for Bush or Kerry. I considered it a protest vote. Oh good, I did the immature thing and threw my vote away, that sounds young.
So what is a liberal republican or a conservative democrat like myself to do? I am not sure yet, but it has been an interesting year so far.
** Update, Maybe I'll become a Republicrat.
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Political Prowess
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I feel the exact same way. I wish I were more informed on what is going on in politics, but I'm not. I wrote about the DNC being in Denver last week and that has been about it. I'm a registered Republican but I can't decide on who I should vote for. It's driving me nuts.
There in lies my problem. There are things that I do not like about both candidates, but I feel like if I do not vote, I cannot b*tch about it for the next 4 years, either.
My problem right now? Is that the media is having a feeding frenzy over that 17 year old daughter. I wish that they observed the same hands off policy that the dems wanted with Chelsea and Obama's kids. But that doesn't seem to happen with Sarah Palin's daughter. Why is that? That makes me sad. Children do not ask for this, nor do they go through the vetting process. I swear some media people are no better than vultures.
Sorry...
Bec
I'm a bit conflicted too...*sigh*
You're so funny!
I'm not particularly "political". I usually keep my views to myself because, like you, I don't feel informed enough to make statements or argue with someone, who, quite frankly, think their opinion is the only opinion. Having said that, it really ticks me off that the question of if Palin can be VP because she is a mother of 5, with a special needs child keeps popping up. Why is that even an issue? Because she's a woman? Hasn't she proven that she could hold office despite being a mother? As most American women do. Before I had my last child, I was going to college and working full time while still managing my family life. I made a choice to stay home for many personal reasons, but it wasn't because I could not handle or balance the load. What a load of crap!
@everyone, check out out the Republicrats link. You'll find your candidate.
@becca, yes she should be left alone!
@monkey toe momma, thanks for liking my sense of humor. I agree entirely about Palin.
Nora, you old fart, anytime you want to have serious about talk politics look me up. That being said, Palin is hot! I'm voting for McCain!
I am Independent in my beliefs but I am a registered Republican. (I live in Kansas AND married a Republican, for goodness sake!) I am still unsure of where my vote will go in November as well.
Remember when McCain ran against Bush, back when McCain was still Independent? I LOVED him then and even wanted to put a huge sign in my yard to show my support.
Those were the days when I got the majority of my news from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Sad that we don't have expanded cable anymore... they are the most unbiased of any "news" program. They make fun of everyone equally. :)
All I can say is that I HOPE your teeth aren't falling out! :o)
Really nicely put.
When you live in a country where you DO have to vote and there are so many lines of politician. And we do have a president with only 4 fingers in one hand, who loves to show this up, haven´t work since the early 70s and didn´t finish high school, I can just admire the American races.
Fabiola
Oh man I am old I guess! I follow politics very closely and I have well informed children. I usually never talk about my views except in like minded company.
I will say I want my country to be protected top on the list. Seriously look at how tax reform will affect you. Obamanomics will have a negative trickle down effect. If he taxes big businesses like he says, jobs could be cut and product prices will go up. Don't be fooled by taxing the big guy schemes.
Careful I think I just talked about politics an showed my view -sorry
My hub voted Libertarian too. I abstained. We had SUCH bad choices. I'm really hoping that this election will show people that there should be more than two options. I hope for that every year.
Post a Comment