I think I mentioned that Santa left me a Wii Fit for Christmas. Some might want to slap Santa at the presumption of giving that kind of gift. Just for the record, I told Santa I couldn't decide which I wanted more the Wii Fit or Guitar Hero. Seeing how Santa is a professional musician, who does play bass, I thought I had a better chance of winning on Wii Fit.
What I didn't realize was the the balance board not only lets you snowboard, but it also weighs you. I know, kinda sucks the fun right out of a present, doesn't it. Especially when after entering my info it informs me my BMI is 1 gabillion. Yes that is a real number, I think. Okay let's face it I knew my weight was an issue, I wasn't surprised when the balance board informed me I was obese and transformed my Mii from a skinny likeness of me to an almost mirror image where my belly was hanging out of my shirt. Isn't the point of a video game to escape reality?
Undaunted I continued on and was given my first Wii Fit Age, 48 a mere 13 years older than my actual age. Ouch. Then I played my first game. I went for the Balance games thinking they would be easy. After several attempts to head soccer balls I was told I was unbalanced. Who me? How did it know? I thought I hid it well.
All joking aside, I had already decided that I had to get serious about getting some more exercises and losing weight, before Christmas. I didn't research the Wii Fit as an exercise tool, and when someone wondered why in the world one would need a game to do yoga, I had no answer. However after playing with it for a couple of weeks this is my review so far.
Likes:
- I am having fun.
- It tracks your exercise, weight and graphs it. You can even add time spent on exercised not done on the Wii Fit.
- I am competitive so getting keeping the high score is important to me and it motivates me.
- Unlike going to a class, I can do it when I have time and don't have to worry about my appearance. However it can be played in a group so, I can take my board and go play somewhere else.
- Since it measures how much pressure you are putting on your feet or hands, I feel as though I am possibly doing the exercise right, unlike when watching a video.
- You have to play to keep unlocking more exercises or games.
- I actually worked up a sweat doing the aerobic games.
- It had me set a goal weight and it told me I had too much too soon, and gave me sugestions about resetting it to something healthier.
Dislikes:
- Right now the only thing that I really don't like is that I would like to program a set of exercises and move through them without stopping to punch the buttons. Maybe there is a way to do that I just haven't found yet.
Reality:
- Right now I am in the heady days of playing with a new toy, will it be a tool I use long term? Or will it join the guitar in my closet? Who knows, I hope to keep with it, to that end I am going to make myself accountable here as well. I am going to start participating in Blog to Fit as an additional motivational tool.
- I haven't made any major diet changes except to measure out what I am eating and be aware of appropriate portion size.
So here goes it internets.... I hate to do this, I am totally going to close my eyes when I hit the publish button.
Starting Weight 12/29/08 236 lb
Last week: 234 lb
This week: 231 lb
Pounds lost (or gained): 5 total 3 this week
How many pounds left to lose: 15 for my current goal on Wii Fit but I would like to get down to 160.
13 comments:
*Cheerleader, Corinne, reporting for duty*
I wish you all the luck! You can do it!
Hugs and tons of encouragements!!!:)
Yay! You can do it! It does sound like fun...we may have to invest in a Wii Fit.
I also wish I could just up a series of exercises without stopping to push the buttons! They drive me crazy.
After you've had it for awhile, it's best to mute your "trainer." LOL
And yeah, I also hate that they make your little Mii more accurate to your weight. Although it really gives me more motivation! I want to see my cartoon "mii" get skinny!
with the wii fit, anything is possible - all the best. :)
Wow, you are off to a great start! The Wii Fit is really intriguing, but we don't have a Wii or any video game system. I think it might make exercise fun -- unless, of course, it mocked me and changed my Mii like that. Ugh. How cruel.
Looks like a great start! Welcome to Wednesday Weigh-In.
My Wii Fit asked me if I tripped while walking. How is it a video game gets to insult you?
Kudos to you ... on your post and your weight loss! The Wii fit sounds like fun - smiles!
I am right here with you.... I put myself to lose 25 lbs by April.
I started last Saturday. As for the first week of the year, I am doing fine!!!
Fabiola
You go girl!
We have a Wii and looked to get the wii fit to go with it for a Christmas gift. We weren't able to find it but I watched the little video online of what it does. I saw that part about it recording your weight and had a moment of OH CRAPOLA! lol Needless to say, I wasn't totally heartbroken that we didn't find one. ;o)
How awesome are you to already lost 5 lbs! The Wii Fit sounds fun but I would probably hurt myself. Since I can hurt myself standing still! Here's to meeting your goals!
Nora, Congrats woman, you are amazing. Keep up the good work and keep me updated on if Wii fit is worth it.
I am so proud of you! I started a "healthier lifestyle" January 1, and once I am halfway to my goal, my husband told me he would reward me with a Wii! Then, I am hoping that the last half of the battle to my goal will be fun.
I am right there with you, girlfriend, on the current weight, the weight loss so far, and the goal.
We can do it!
Post a Comment