Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Weigh In Week Two

I feel the need to remind myself not to let this blog only be about the weigh in. I really intended to get a post up earlier in the week. So maybe I should have started that on Friday or Saturday...

This weeks Weigh in Results....

  • Starting weight December 29, 2008: 236 lbs.
  • Overall Goal weight: 140 lbs.
  • Weight last week: 231 lbs.
  • Weight today: 230lbs
  • Amount lost this week: 1 lb
Interesting thing about the single pound loss. Since I am using the Wii Fit as my weigh in tool and it encourages you to weigh in every day, I had a spike on Sunday where I showed a weight gain of 3.3 pounds. While I know a persons weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds during the course of a day, that is still high. Truth be told, I think it was the greasy hamburger I had for lunch on Friday, then the Pizza Buffett later on that evening and Saturday was really no better. We had Mexican for lunch and I don't recall what for dinner, but it probably wasn't healthy.

I know for some people weighing themselves every day and watching that spike go up might cause them to give up. Quite honestly a few years ago that might have been the case with me. However I think for me at this point in my life seeing a real time translation of what happens when I don't make the best food choices is a positive thing. Knowing I need to step up the exercise at that point, and kidding myself that my choices weren't really that bad won't fly anymore.

So to that end, while I haven't obviously been restricting my food intake, I was trying to keep a running total in my head of how many calories I have been ingesting. Monday while wondering just how many calories were in that sandwich at Subway, I decided to google it and found a nice tracking tool. It is called the Daily Plate and while at this point I am not necessarily making huge diet changes, I can know just how many calories I ate. So my goal this week is to keep exercising, track my food every day and then next week I will make some meal adjustments.

12 comments:

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

Maybe try weighing yourself first thing in the morning after you pee. I don't know if it makes a difference, but is would seem that it would be a more accurate weigh in. Just a thought.

I think you are doing a great job - keep up the great work!

White Hot Magik said...

@MonkeyToeMomma, that is my general goal but you know somehow now matter what time I get up so do the dogs and kids... and the chaos begins. I am trying to consistently do it before 8:00 am and eating though. ; ) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I weigh myself everyday in the morning, naked. After that, numbers on the scale are too effected by the day - eating, clothes, weather. IMHO.

Also, I've always found that daily weighing leaves me more able to understand weight fluctuations. If you know it's been one number for a bunch of days and it suddenly jumps - well, then you know you ate a big meal or you're bloated or something and if you stay on track it will return to where it was.

Go you on your 1 pound! Safe, slow and steady weight loss is the way to go. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep it up. You are doing good work. Just that you are monitoring what you are eating and aware of your fitness levels is fantastic. Maybe consider not paying attention to the pounds but how your clothes are fitting you and how you are feeling. That can be more encouraging than anything. I started working out and actually lost and then gained weight. But I went from a size 16 to a 12... I was totally okay with that!
Now, play the lottery 'cause, well, 'cause you can't win if you don't play.
Win-Win.
;)

t i m said...

I lost 5 pounds last week.

Oh wait, I’ve just realised that’ll probably be lost in translation as pounds over here means our currency and... errr... errr... I’ll go now.

(insert embarrassed look here)

All the best with the weight loss – I’m now off to bury my head in a tub of ice cream :)

BEK said...

OH Tim you are sooooo funny I wouldn't want to lose any of those British Pounds they almost cost 1.5 U.S. dollars!!!!

WhiteHot- you might be dehydrated as well on top of taking in so much sodium over the weekend.

You are doing great and have an awesome week! Look at your starting weight- you didn't gain it all in one day and you are not going to lose it all in one day either. I always think- 1 pound down is better than 1 pound up! (I even say .25 lbs down is better than .25 lbs up!)

Anonymous said...

Great start.

I actually weigh myself when I get up and then again when I get done at the gym. Whichever one is the lowest number, I count that for the day. Generally, the gym weight is the lowest.

Keep going!

Mike (in Arkansas)
Exit78

Katy said...

They say not to weigh daily, but I've always felt that it helps keep tabs on how things are going in general. Of course, I have no scale now, which is probably part of my problem.

Turfdad said...

Looks like the Blog to Fit thing agrees with you. Keep up the good work. I only weigh once a week. Don't know why, just do.

Jen S. said...

I never knew how much one's weight fluctuated in a day until Wii Fit came along!

You're making great progress, keep it up!

Elizabeth said...

How are you enjoying the Wii Fit? We just picked one up yesterday and I had my first opportunity to try it out today. I spent an hour on it doing various things... and lucky me I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow morning. I haven't done squat (both literally and figuratively) in MONTHS. It would be cool if you could hook up with your friends while using the Wii Fit to play tennis together or volleyball or something... that way I could challenge you to a game! :)

Fabiola said...

A steady weight loss is perfect.
Just keep up...
I already lost 4 lb pounds with 2 weeks of writing down everything I ate and 3 weeks into the 3 times a week Curves program.
I am happy with the results.