Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The old grey mare, ain't what she used to be.

I have mentioned in the past that I am a bit of a tomboy.  I've been this way as long as I can remember. 

 

I don't really know when it started but I don't recall ever being girly.  My mom made us wear dresses to church and all, but from candid pictures it would appear that I was adept at getting mussed up.  While my younger sister would spend lots of time on her hair, even in grade school. 

 

Perhaps because of those tendencies, my hair was generally cut short.  I remember wanting to be a rodeo clown really badly and going through a phase where I had different colored bandanas tied to my belt loops on my cut off shorts.  I have pictures where I looked like a boy in a girls outfit, short hair going every direction.  (I will post if I can find it.)

 

In my adult life I have probably gone some pretty extended periods of time wearing no makeup, wearing mostly just men's clothing and really not caring about my looks the way most girls do. I'd finally let my hair grow long, but it was in a barrette, clip or ponytail most of the time. I'd bet a few people were probably surprised I liked boys. (No offence Q and S, but I did try to stay away from the 10 Lesbian Hair Styles I read about at a friends house, she had it as a style guide.)

 

In the last few years I have tried to be better, I quit wearing t-shirts all the time and opt for something sort of women's tee from old navy or target.  I have the habit of buying the same style in several colors.  I have colored my hair and tried for more fashionable hair styles.  Only some of my pants and shoes are from the men's department.

 

Last week I purchased an eye shadow kit and have even worn it to work, so I could ask the ladies in the office if I did it right.  I was afraid I was going to look like Mimi from Drew Carey since it had green shadow in it. Normally I stick to skin tones like pink and taupe.

 

Lately I have quit coloring my hair at the recommendation of my stylist because since I don't wear hats often enough and I was going lighter than my natural color the color would sun fade and turn all funky. I went short to cut off all the old color. Then I got the bright idea to see how much snow was on top of old smoky.  More than I would like at 33 for sure, I would estimate to be 20% grey.  I have been polling my coworkers on whether or not I should go back to coloring, mixed opinions.  Some days it is not too noticeable if my hair curls nicely.  (You girls with naturally curly hair know what I am talking about.)  Right now a bad hair day is  one hundred times worse because it always seems like the grey is showing more.  Oddly enough, those are also my fattest days as well, I think I visually gain 50 pounds.

 

In the last 6 weeks based on random comments from strangers I don't know what to think. 

 


  • One lady asked me if I was in college.  She was sitting right next to my grey hair.  (Yes, she made my day.)

 


  • One very young server at Sonic called me sir, until I faced him, then he apologized profusely.

 


  • Yesterday the nurse at the doctor's office didn't ask me when my last menstrual period was, she queried, "do you still get them?"

 

Where did I put that box of hair dye?


3 comments:

NB said...

LOL! No offense taken. Hey, many men (Billy Ray) have emulated "lesbian" haircuts and called it manly. I call it scary. I stay as far away from that stereotype as I can.
I've always been a tomboy but didn't actually go the girlie-girl route until I was about 35-36. I started wearing more girly stuff to work and occasionally outside of work. I found out how comfortable dresses can be (sans freakin' nylons) and actually enjoy wearing them.
However, my favorite clothes match my active lifestyle. Gardening, walking, playing, dogs, horses, hiking, swimming, and traversing rivers and streams are not conducive to wearing a dress.
If I had my druthers, I'd be wearin' a pair of cargo shorts, a tank top, a bandana around my neck, a pair of hiking boots, a flompy cowboy hat, (or my favorite ballcap) and a fanny-pack. I know the fanny-pack is probably the most gauche thing but I don't care. It's convenient.
I prefer my hair medium length but a little shorter on top so it stays out of my eyes. (I am NOT talking about a mullet!
So, you go girl. Wear what ya want... and feel pretty doin' it.
About that grey... I say color and do highlights or a couple of colors. I am absolutely sure that is what God intended by allowing scientists to invent that stuff.
;)

Anonymous said...

OMG! That's quite a mixed bag down there at the bottom of this posting. sheesh...

The good news? Grey hair doesn't hurt. Neither do wrinkles.

And their are many, many men out there who don't really prefer 'girly' girls, and for good reason: They tend to be high maintenance, and who needs that?

Myself, I have ALWAYS preferred the natural look, and I have NEVER understood exactly why it is that women insist on smearing all that goop on their lovely faces every day.

Once in a while - like for a special occasion? OK! But every day? I think not.

Not all of us like kewpy dolls. Me?Give me a cowgirl - every time.

Just one man's opinion of course, for whatever it's worth...

Mocha said...

Do what you gotta do, girly. (You know I would normally call you "girly" and it's not just because I'm trying to make you feel better, right?) Even when I was a tomboy I fought with the dichotomy of looking like a boy and looking like a girl. Eventually, when I turned into a girl, all the boys were like, "Huh? She's a GIRL? The hell...?"