Overheard behind me in the line, spoken by 3rd or 4th grade age boy.
Oh look Britney. Why did she shave her head Dad? Did she have cancer or was she just drunk and crazy?
My first thought was how sad, he knows about that. I felt certain, Brittney, Ashlee and all those other girls have no idea about the example they are setting for all the kids who look up to them.
Then, I remembered how my son was chanting Miley Cyrus, Miley Cyrus this week. I asked him if he knew who that was, he said she was the girl from Hannah Montana. I cringed because I didn't turn of the Today show early enough one day last week and we caught the "news" story about her Vanity Fair pictures. I didn't pick up the remote fast enough, I don't really want my kids thinking that is the way to be. Plus, I don't think he knew who she was before that.
On one hand I can understand why people are concerned about the over sexualization of young girls, but how many grade school age kids read Vanity Fair? Many more may be sitting around the morning watching the Today show with mom.
On the other, I think we are way too invested in the lives of celebrities. Not that I want to excuse bad behavior but how would most of us fair under that kind of microscope. I can guarantee you I would flip out at some point, say something stupid, do something wrong or wear the wrong dress to the wrong event. Thank God no one was following me around as a teenager.
While at times I would really like to solely blame the media, I have to find fault with myself too. I used to click on those little stories on the bottom left of the MSN Homepage too. A while back it occurred to me that I was part of the problem, I was reading it. Those advertisers on those pages were targeting me. I highly suspect if more people were turning the channel every time a bit of celebrity gossip or really unnecessary story came on they would be fewer in number. Just a thought...
6 comments:
This is exactly why I stopped reading Perezhilton.com. I feel like people prey upon other people's weaknesses and bad judgement, and I know how I would feel if someone gossiped about me. I was checking his site too many times per day. Really sad.
I'll step up and admit that I had much the same problem (and solution!) as Hyperher. It suddenly occurred to me what my life, my mothering skills, and my drinking habits (or, these days, lack thereof) might look like under the microscope. And yes, I think I was a part of the problem. Would it be too "high and mighty" of me to think that I owe my kids (and myself) better than that as a role model? I wish there was a "rag mag" free lane in the grocery store, much like a "candy free" lane.
Ach! This is so true. I am all about a celebrity rag although I have curbed my addiction substantially.
I also think that I'm glad I didn't have to live my life under the microscope. Might not look so good like that.
You're only going to hear another "Amen!" from me because I refuse to get involved in the lives of celebutards. I have this pretty full life doing other stuff right now and I couldn't care less what they're doing.
The sobering thought is that we catch up on their lives more than the people in OUR lives. Pick up a phone, write a letter, send a postcard, stop by a friend's house, go out for coffee. Ya know?
And, it doesn't bother me so much that kids don't read Vanity Fair, but that grown ups do. And as a grown up, I'm not the least bit interested in the nakedness of a 15 year old. If she wasn't famous, wouldn't that make it child porn?
@elizabeth -- My other musing in the line was whether or not I should by the mag touting Marilou Henners diet or a Dove bar. I was strong and bought neither.
@Mocha that is a good point about the adults. I sometimes have a pretty myopic view and think only of how it is affecting my kids. Love celebutards, classic.
@hypher, reading it does make me feel dirty too now.
@bird, I don't even look good under normal focus much less in depth...
You're right! I recently wrote an article for Upscale magazine about "Fallen Stars," should celebrities be role models and how it affects our kids.
The media is not going to stop highlighting the madness because too many people buy it generating too many dollars, so we as parents really have to be in tune with and guide our children.
Written from the hands of a former People magazine junkie and Entertainment Tonight addict. Now, I barely check out either of them! Smiles!
Post a Comment