I am such the consummate substitute teacher I even substitute teach Sunday School at church.
I have to admit have been feeling rather inadequate for such a task lately. However despite my hesitations, sometimes I am glad I can't say no to my old Sunday School teacher, because I already learned something and I haven't even taught the lesson yet.
This week's lesson is on Cain and Abel from Genesis 4. As I read the lesson I wondered once again, why God would reject Cain's offering. Why was Abel's better? As I reread the story in my study bible, several things stood out.
There isn't a reason given for God's rejection of Cain's offering. However the KJV uses the word, respect. God did not respect his offering. My study bible in the notes goes on to mention how perhaps it was Cain's attitude, or perhaps he brought the wormy apples no one would eat. I think I have spent the better part of my life thinking of this story the wrong way. I always assumed God rejected the plants over the animal. However it would appear to be more attitude related.
I found vs 6, 7 most interesting:
6And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
After God rejected the offering, he tried to reason with Cain, just like I do with my boys? Yes, I chastised you, but that was (dangerous, wrong, mean, etc.) and that bad attitude is going to get you in trouble. I think I thought he just rejected Cain and then Cain killed his brother. The real story is about attitude and letting seeds of hate, jealousy or whatever sin we are holding on to take us down the wrong path of further sin.
Mostly I am thinking OUCH. I resemble that attitude far too often, I know the part of the petulant child well. As a parent, I just want my child to straighten up and go in a safe direction. Is it possible that is all my father wants to?
I am thankful a heartfelt prayer, an attitude ajustment and that simple reminder will probably change the course of my day. I am thankful, that even though I mess up, my heavenly father still loves me and just sets me on the right path.
Just curious, what were (are) your thoughts on this bible classic?
5 comments:
Honestly, I don't know how you make heads or tails of the KJV. I'm going to go look it up in my NIV because I do think it's an interesting question you pose.
While I was saddened by Abel's undeserved death, I always sympathised with Cain's side in Sunday school in my younger days, which is one of the reasons I was no longer welcome to attend the Sunday school for being a disruption.
Cain did of course go too far by killing his brother, but in his mind [at the time] he felt justified to react as he was not accustomed to rejection.
2000+ years on, that story is still relevant in today's world as it primarily deals with 'murder and motive' as well as 'confrontation and consequences' - the root of many a conflicts.
I have always wondered about that story too.
It was explained to me some years back that, yeah, it was all about the "attitude" in which the sacrifice was given.... because I had been puzzled by that as well. Lots of stuff in the Bible puzzles me, I'll be honest, and I've gone to church my entire life! But God knows our hearts - He knows where we are "really coming from" regardless of how good we look to the outside world.
Oh - and "mostly naked Dr.Evil" scares me, I tell you - I think maybe more than "naked headless Ken" who has to stay hidden in my desk drawer until I can glue his head back on....
I wonder about that story, too. I think you're right about the reason for rejection-- the attitude-- rather than it being plant vs. animal.
Just one more thing to ask God about when we get up there!
You're a substitute teacher? I'm doing my internship for elementary eduation right now. Today I had a student ask me (1st grade,) "Mrs. S, is November 1st God's birthday?"
I simply replied, "I don't know honey."
Post a Comment